Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Interrupted Sermon

FYI -- Good friends I was composing a sermonette for this evening when Con Ed blew a manhole cover ("stray voltage") and put WBAI’s phone out of action for a day or two. Another triumph for good old American knowhow. I tought I might, with your forbearance, share today’s thoughts before events overtake them. You are welcome to pass them along.

They’re calling it a lame-duck session, but that is pure flattery. Those ducks don’t have a leg to stand on. They’re about to quietly raise the national debt limit to 800 billion dollars. They went past it weeks ago but pretended not to, in order not to embarrass the Republicans before the elections.

That’s when I was told the phones were down. I was going to note that they don’t embarrass easily -- already they’re blaming for slandering our brave marines with that videotape in the Iraqi mosque. I was going to predict that the Senate Democrats would meekly ratify Condi as Secretary of State -- Joe Lieberman called her "an excellent choice."

Then I would note Tom DeLay’s threat to "go nucular" if the Democrats use the Senate rules to block judicial appointments. A great point I’ve seen nobody make before: If Congress can make rules by a simple vote, it can repeal them by a simple vote. Why not? We’ll still have to fight the Bush counterrevolution out in the streets. And finally, I might quote the Onion as reporting that the Republicans are calling for privatizing elections. Whcich in fact they already have. Courage.